Python 3.6.3 is now available
Python 3.6.3 is now available. Python 3.6.3 is the third maintenance release of Python 3.6, which was initially released in 2016-12 to great interest. Detailed information about the changes made in 3.6.3 can be found in its change log. See the What’s New In Python 3.6 document for more information about features included in the 3.6 series.
Python is used in many application domains. Here’s a sampling.
- The Python Package Index lists thousands of third party modules for Python.
Web and Internet Development
Python offers many choices for web development:
- Frameworks such as Django and Pyramid.
- Micro-frameworks such as Flask and Bottle.
- Advanced content management systems such as Plone and django CMS.
Python’s standard library supports many Internet protocols:
- HTML and XML
- E-mail processing.
- Support for FTP, IMAP, and other Internet protocols.
- Easy-to-use socket interface.
And the Package Index has yet more libraries:
Scientific and Numeric
Python is widely used in scientific and numeric computing:
- SciPy is a collection of packages for mathematics, science, and engineering.
- Pandas is a data analysis and modeling library.
- IPython is a powerful interactive shell that features easy editing and recording of a work session, and supports visualizations and parallel computing.
- The Software Carpentry Course teaches basic skills for scientific computing, running bootcamps and providing open-access teaching materials.
Python is a superb language for teaching programming, both at the introductory level and in more advanced courses.
- Books such as How to Think Like a Computer Scientist, Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science, and Practical Programming.
- The Education Special Interest Group is a good place to discuss teaching issues.
The Tk GUI library is included with most binary distributions of Python.
Some toolkits that are usable on several platforms are available separately:
Platform-specific toolkits are also available:
Python is also used to build ERP and e-commerce systems: