Greetings from Tel Aviv and welcome to another monthly wrap up! Apologies for the silence last week, merely a reflection of the silence of capital inflows, but I should have notified you all about the temporary hiatus. Some pretty exciting news this week in Israel, in particular Compass raised a $75m round vaulting the company to the unicorn level with a $1b valuation. Although exciting, this transaction pales in comparison to Uber’s $680m (reported) acquisition of Otto, the self-driving truck start-up co-founded by Lior Ron.
We saw a robust $415m invested in August with Software Applications leading the way (23%) and even distribution across Social Media & Advertising, Enterprise Solutions, Industrial Technologies, and Digital Health and Medical Technologies, alongside $775m in disclosed M&A (total M&A was higher).
August witnessed heavy acquisition activity, with nine companies acquired for more than $775m.
- Shaker, a company creating online venues where people can host events of different kinds for just about any size of audience, from live-stream music events to networking events and conferences, was acquired by Playstudios, a casual game developer for social platforms, for an undisclosed sum.
- ForClass, a cloud-based, fully integrative platform for content distribution, student assessment and classroom management, was acquired by Time to Know, a leader in digital education transformation, for an undisclosed sum.
- SAIPS, a provider of customized algorithmic solutions in the fields of computer vision and machine learning, was acquired by Ford, for an undisclosed sum.
- Dojo Labs, a provider of consumer security and privacy solutions for all IoT devices in a connected home, was acquired by Bullguard, a UK antivurs maker for $500,000.
- Otto, a company building technology that, in time, can automate parts of the drive on highways, was acquired by Uber, for a reported $680m in stock.
- Meme Global, a leading agency digital advertising solutions, was acquired by Somoto, a website for freeware and shareware developers with a straightforward and simple method to monetize, enhance and distribute their offerings, for $13m.
- MassiveImpact, a leader in performance mobile advertising, was acquired by Gmobi, a Taiwanese mobile technology service provider, for a reported $15-$25m.
- Pontis, the creator of the Marketing Delivery Platform (MDP) for Communication Service Providers, was acquired by Amdocs, for $95m.
- MacroCure, a biotechnology company focused on the development and commercialization of advanced cell therapy products, was acquired by Leap Therapeutics, for an undisclosed sum.
The past two weeks, another $139m was invested in Israeli start-ups.
- Bigabid, an advertising technology company focused on mobile performance, raised $2m from Naftali Investments and private angels.
- User1st, a system enabling businesses to improve website accessibility, raised $3m from 500 Startups, CSVP, and Shaked Ventures.
- Revelator, a cloud-based provider of sales and marketing intelligence for independent music professionals, raised $2.5m from SeedIL, Digital Currency Group, and Exigent.
Series A Rounds
- SkyGiraffe, an enterprise mobility platform, raised $6m from SGVC, Trilogy, 500 Startups, and various private investors.
- IntSights, a cyber intelligence web platform, raised $7.5m led by Blumberg Capital, with participation from Glilot Capital, Blackstone, and Wipro Ventures.
- Behalf, a payments platform targeting SMBs, raised $27m led by Viola Growth with participation from Maverick Ventures, MissionOG, Sequoia Israel, and others.
- Compass, a tech-driven real estate platform putting technology at the fingertips of real estate agents, raised $75m led by Wellington Management with participation from Goldman Sachs, Founders Fund, Thrive Capital, and others.
On behalf of everyone at iAngels, I’d like to thank you for tuning into our weekly deal digest. Feel free to browse August’s deals with more granularity by clicking any of the links below.
If you’d like to receive our weekly digest in your inbox, please subscribe below. P.S. Don’t forget to check out our newest podcast about Network Effects!
thanks you RSS link